Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Figment Gatsby's Imagination

On page 86 at the tizzop begins the sequence of which i shall transcribe Gatsby's thoughts into. That sounded like a mix between Yoda and I. This is where Gatsby and Daisy are awkwardly reunited at Nick's crib. I used crib because I'm trying to make slang more acceptable educationally and socially.  Please, pardon the slightly abrasive language.

Oh god, it's raining, this is no good.  I might as well knock on the door so I can meet my damn fate.  Where is he.  Finally opened it...bastard.  Oh god, this is no good, what type of an entrance should I make, I have to be quick, I'm there, dammit.  What should I say-it's actually her.  What do I do for small talk, I;m good at this with people who don't matter.  This is awful. She said "I certainly am awfully glad to see you again." What do you say to that, please Nick come free me from this misery.  Finally he's here.  I hope I look slick and am not just making an ass of myself.  I wonder what she thinks.  I'll be witty.  "We've met before," I said coolly.  I chuckled, truly an Awful Idea.  Damn clock just fell, but I caught it.  I need to sit down.  "Im sorry about the clock," I said.  "It's an old clock," this had to be one of the worst possible answers he could've given.  "We haven't met for many years," said Daisy, who probably can't stand me at this point.  I'll act like I care about her a lot, it'll mean something to her, so I said "Five years next November." This comment had an adverse effect.  Goddamn.  She must think I'm the average creep.  Nick's butler brought in a tray of tea.  I decided to let Nick and Daisy go at it to restore some sense of comfort.  Then Nick completely snaked me, he just stood right up, I asked "Where are you going?" You could tell I was in distress, and this man said "I'll be back." I said "I've got to speak to you about something before you go." Is the only thing I could say to get at least a moment to gain my composure.  He's going to kill me.  I told him "This is a terrible mistake," I shook my head, "a terrible, terrible mistake." This man said "You'e just embarrassed, thats all," he thought I hadn't noticed, dumb ass.  He then said "Daisy's embarrassed too." I was shocked. I asked "She'd embarrassed?" He coolly said "Just as much as you are." I then told him "Don't talk so loud." He then started baking me, "You're acting like a little boy," I responded politely, but pissed, "Not only that, but you're rude.  Daisy's sitting in there all alone." I silenced Nick's almighty ass and went back to Daisy with newfound confidence and assurance.

1 comment:

  1. Sohrob, you depict Gatsby's nerves well in your narration. One question though: do you think he says "Five years next November" in order to "act like he cares about her," as opposed to truly (and deeply) caring about her? -Mrs. Viano

    ReplyDelete