Sunday, October 16, 2011

My disconnection from the physical world.

Many people have items of supreme sentimental value.  Though I, like all other people, have a connection to many of my belongings, none of them do I have an inseverable bond with.  When I was very young everything in my house or that I was close to had sentimental value to me.  I remember crying hysterically when my mother got a new stove.  I was so incredibly sad from the loss of our old one, that I begged the man from Sears to not listen to my mother, all to no avail.  In my bathroom in the first apartment I  lived in there was wallpaper with elephants all over it, and when we moved out, I remember mourning the loss of that wallpaper, taking all of the photographs that I could, even trying to salvage a sample, again, in vain.  Now I am proud to say that none of these losses phase me.  It is much harder to give examples of things you don't care about.  I believe that this is very good for me, leading me to a higher level of wisdom.  If somebody is stripped of all of their belongings and still has direction in their life, they are truly wise, almost enlightened.  I first learned about this philosophy while reading Siddhartha, when Siddhartha lives with Sadhus are a very small group of Indian people who abstain from many worldly pleasures, who wander the country and the wilderness, and live very humbly.  I strive to due this in principal, not so much in practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment