Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Moment I realized I was an American

The Moment I realized I was an American is an epiphany I am one hundred percent sure I have had.  When I was younger I hated America, simply because of racism and the atrocities America has committed.  I hated slavery, the fire bombings of Germany, the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and America's views on the middle east.  When I was much younger I was very proud to be middle eastern, sadly that has diminished greatly and I loathe that fact.  My hate for America went to the point that I was suspended from school in the 3rd grade for attempting to start a communist revolution.  At some point I realized that America, though not necessarily a great country for the world, is one of the best countries to be a citizen of.  We have freedoms here which much of the world cannot fathom.  We almost have achieved full equality for everyone in almost every part of the country.  I say that because in some places there is still racism, and sexism, but that has been reduced greatly and is actually illegal right now.  America has an incredibly high standard of living, which I, and almost every other American love to indulge in.  I realized I was an American when I realized there was no where in the world I'd rather live in than America.

No comments:

Post a Comment