Thursday, September 15, 2011

arrival...there goes my neighborhood

My family is almost 100% of the diversity in my neighborhood, and my family is arguably white.  As I believe I've said my parents are both from Iran, making me Iranian.  I live in Lincoln Park, a neighborhood which is unfortunately predominantly one race, which is white.  Due to past problems and misconceptions with and of the other children in my neighborhood I have somewhat deserted my neighborhood and alienated myself from it.  Almost none of the people I surround myself with live in or near my neighborhood, there is only one place I hangout in in Lincoln Park, which is a store I intern at, which is run by asians, who are not the majority in my neighborhood.  My journeys outside of my neighborhood have  lead to me becoming very independent and has lead to me making friends elsewhere in the city, which I believe is good for me, because now I not only see my neighborhood, i see many other neighborhoods.  I make more friends, most of whom I ordinarily wouldn't have met, and have learned more than I ever would from people in my exact circumstance.  I love the fact that I have made all of these friends, and aside from the fact that I don't see them terribly often, there are no downsides to these friendships.  It appears that every decision I have ever made has had a net worth which has been positive.

3 comments:

  1. I think your post touches upon a broader issue that pertains everywhere, but can vividly be seen in Chicago. No doubt, the city we live in is famous for its architecture and "diversity" of people, but rarely spoken of is our segregation. This has to be one of the most, or if not the most, segregated place in America, perhaps the world. I think it's really cool that you visit different neighborhoods to connect with other different (not only lifestyles) but cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abdulza while we have segregation we are a very diverse city. While you have som e neighborhoods like lincoln park that are mostly white you also have many diverse neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Abdulza. This is indeed a very segregated city. However, many places see typical, urban diversity. To Sohrob: travelling to other neighborhoods is pretty fun. I think I like doing it for the movement I'm undergoing in an automobile, as well as to vicariously experience different lifestyles.

    ReplyDelete